Consumer Resource Web Links

The following websites and resources are provided for information purposes only. Inclusion in this list  does not indicate endorsement by PSHA


Agency for Health Research and Quality (AHRQ)
ALS Association
Alzheimer’s Association
American Academy of Otolaryngology
American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
American Medical Association
American Stroke Foundation
Australasian Society for the Study of Brain Impairment
Autism Society Of America
Autism Collaboration
Brain Injury Association of America
Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
Council for Learning Disabilities (CLD)
International Association of Communication Sciences and Disorders
International Brain Injury Association
National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center
National Institute for Aging (NIA)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NIND)
Pennsylvania’s Assistive Technology Lending Library
Pennsylvania’s Assitive Technology Foundation
Special Education Guide


Academy of Neurological Communication Disorders and Sciences
Aphasia Access
Aphasia Hope Foundation (AHF)
Aphasia Institute
Apraxia Kids
American Cleft Palate – Craniofacial Association
Barkley Augmentative And Alternative Communication Lab
Cherab Foundation
National Aphasia Association
National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD)
National Centers for Stuttering
National Center for Voice and Speech (NCVS)
National Cued Speech Association
National Stuttering Association
Speak Easy International Foundation, Inc. (SEIF)
SpeechBite Database for best interventions and treatment efficacy
The Resource Center for Disability Advocates
The Stuttering Foundation
The Stuttering Homepage
TBI Express: Communication Training Program for Individuals with TBI


Alexander Graham Bell Association For The Deaf
American Academy Of Audiology
American Society for Deaf Children
Deaf Linx
National Association For The Deaf
National Center on Deafness (NCOD)
Sign Language Dictionary
Starkey Foundation

Early Intervention

Current ASHA Resources and Activities Related to EI in SLP


American Board of Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders
American Gastroenterological Association
American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society
Canadian Gastroenterological Association
Dysphagia Research Society
European Society of Swallowing Disorders
National Foundation of Swallowing Disorders


Parent Practice for Easy Talking – lists of suggestions for parents to reduce speaking
rate of children

Communication Within Your Family/Your Child’s Environment

Info On Therapy for Parents

Frequently Asked Questions

I am looking for documentation (or a chart of some type) that PSHA follows which lists the articulation norms of children by letter sound and age. I’ve found documentation on the website ( and other states such as Maryland (, but can’t locate anything on PSHA’s website. Any information you can send me would be extremely appreciated. I have a son who is 8.5 years old and is still having trouble with /s/, /z/ and multiple /r/ sounds, but my school district continues to tell me that he will just outgrow it.

Thank you for your request for information from PSHA. I hope I can provide you with some answers and directions. PSHA does not post developmental norms on their website. As an affiliate of ASHA, I would direct you to their website for norms. There are a variety of ways to approach sound development. We defer to ASHA for evidence-based practice information.

The second part of your question concerns eligibility for speech services within your school district. As a parent, you have the right to request a full speech and language evaluation from your school district. There are specific timelines the school must follow once you make that request in writing.  If the school determines your child is not eligible for services, you have the right to request mediation. In Pennsylvania, there is a two prong decision process to determine if your child qualifies for special education (speech therapy services). First, your child must have a disability according to the definitions outlined in IDEA. Speech problems are considered an eligible disability. Secondly,  does this disability (his articulation errors) interfere with his education. If your child’s intelligibility does not interfere with his educational process, and he can meet PA academic standards for his grade level, then he is not eligible for services according to IDEA. The speech problem must have an educational impact.

You can also seek an outside opinion from a licensed speech language pathologist who is not affiliated with your school district. This information could be presented as part of the IEP process.

I am starting with your organization to try to begin learning how Allstate here in Limerick, PA can cater to the hearing impaired. Our new owner has a hearing impaired family member, and he has asked me to take on this mission, and I am not sure where to begin. He keeps saying he would like to hire a person who knows how to sign and communicate with other hearing impaired clientele. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

If your employer wants to hire an agent with American Sign Language (ASL) skills, (s)he would have to put that qualification into a job description and hope that a person applies for the job.  However, hiring someone to help a very small number of people may not be feasible for your company. Therefore, one option would be for your employer to keep the agents (s)he currently has, and when the need arises for an agent to help a person who communicates using ASL, then an interpreter could be employed (contracted with) through an agency that deals with such things.  For instance, in most areas, there is some referral agency that will get interpreters. For example, if one wanted an interpreter here in Indiana, PA, one would usually go through Westmoreland Deaf and Hearing Services in Greensburg. I am sure you would have access to such an agency in your area.  Or, you could try through the Pennsylvania Office for the Deaf and Hard=of=hearing

If your employer did not have in mind persons who use ASL to communicate, and instead was thinking more about persons who have enough hearing loss that they require hearing aids or assistive listening devices to communicate, then I would recommend contacting a local audiologist who works with assistive devices to help you acquire the devices that would be of most assistance (for example, infrared systems for personal FM assistance, etc).